Thursday, January 12, 2006

Gumbo with Bertha

Bertha is my neighbor. I pass her door on the way to mine everyday. A lot of times she'll have her door wide open, and hollers hello to me from her kitchen when I am going up the walkway. She comes out, and we chat about what's new. She has the most beautiful granddaughter. She's preschool aged and her name is Jillian... goes by Jilly. Bertha moved here from Louisiana to be near Jilly because they have a close relationship. (I can relate. Grandmas are very special to little girls.) But lately Bertha is talkin about "Lee-ziana" more and more. She's hurt that she hasn't gotten to see Jilly lately. Her mom (Bertha's daughter in law) is not being very friendly, and Jilly's parents are separated. So it's a little messy...

Today I kept hearing someone honking their car horn like a maniac. I mean, really, just, honking. It finally occurred to me it might be Bertha so I got up and went the window - there Bertha was, sitting in her minivan and motioning for me to get myself downstairs. lol I went out barefoot (sigh. North Carolina winters...) and she told me she had some extra shrimp gumbo and sweet potato for me. So we just had a nice visit over lunch. Actually it was my second lunch (doh!) but I wanted to sit with her. She's a sweet lady. Her husband died three years ago. She's doing well but I am sure this is all such a big change, especially move across states. She's thinking of going back if this separation from Jilly continues.

She also had a maintenance guy come over, and fed him too. (Funny how old ladies love feeding boys hearty meals. I guess especially so Bertha since she raised two boys.) He had gumbo too. Then he helped "fix" something... a broken crucifix. He superglued Jesus back to the cross, though the Lord was handless (she may have vacuumed up his hands).

This was all a funny hour or so. Now back to work...

No comments: