Monday, December 19, 2005

And I can breathe in a small town

I am in Meriden, Kansas at my uncle's brand new pharmacy. It is small-town inspiring; it makes you want to have your own small business venture! I guess I am attracted to that kind of independence. :)

Anyway, my Mom and I have spent the last couple days visiting (mostly) elderly people in the Topeka area. We are joking that we are the "Friendly Visitors" roving around from one nursing home to the next. We have a DVD presentation (the slideshow we just made for my Grandma's memorial mass) and little Christmas gifts and we come bringing good cheer. Hah! Seriously, it is quite entertaining. (Though I'm glad we're done. It also got a little old). This whole experience makes me think a lot about human interaction, visiting elderly people or other shut-ins, the Christmas spirit, the concept of "visiting" in general, my Mom's unique gifts and way of loving and serving people, and life and death in general (just catching up on what everyone is doing, who got married, who died, who did this, and who did that). One cool thing about the DVD is we have video footage from the 1940s (in color!! not black and white) of my Grandma when she was my age (in her 20s). We have video footage of my Grandma's wedding, and so many other cool things from the 40s and 50s. It is really amazing. How is it that so much happened in the world before I was born? lol Anyway my Grandma was an extremely beautiful woman. I think she looks like a movie star, particularly Judy Garland. Once I get back to my computer I will post a picture here.

Annnnyways. I think some other people are coming in the pharmacy right now. We're driving back to Minnesota on Wednesday. We have big plans to see lots of movies this Christmas. :) Rent, King Kong, maybe Narnia again (my family hasn't seen it), uhh can't remember the others right now. Any other recommendations?

2 comments:

Kyle W. said...

i just saw robots i really liked it. it's out on dvd now, so no movie theater, but it's really good. don't know whether you saw that.

Jenny said...

Kyle, you need a blogger account!

Robots.. have I seen that? It's not the one with Will Smith is it? I will look into renting it, thanks!

My mom tells me we are also watching Winged Migration (she loves that) and I added March of the Penguins to the list. I don't know that we actually have this many hours of Christmas break. Hah.