Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Geisha, which we like to call Gaysha ;-)

Finally got to watch Memoirs of a Geisha last night! With Curt. (Sorry Jasmin that we didn't get to watch it! And bah humbug to all the rest of you. Hehe.) I really enjoyed it... it's not life-changing but it's a great story.

There's a lot to react to (Susan..:) but I just wanted to say the two positive things that I loved the most.

One, a simple act of kindness not only changed a little girl's life forever... but it did so by profoundly affecting her very spirit, her life... giving her a drive that let her survive extremely difficult circumstances. That's awesome.

And secondly, the scene I remember the most, is when the older mean geisha gets banished out to the streets (her name is Hatsumomo), and walks away in the nighttime rain, devastated and totally alone in the world... the main character (Sayuri) makes some comment to the effect that... I wonder if I am looking at my future. Are we so different? She once loved. She once dreamed. Is this my future, too?

For someone to look at their "enemy" with these eyes... to see that we are so much like even our worst enemies... wow. That is what impacted me the most.

3 comments:

Jasmin said...

I wish I could've watched it with you two!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Jenny-
Leave it to you to find something meaningful to say about this movie... all I really wondered was if you thought it was gross that she ended up with the old guy!
No I liked the story, simple but beautiful.
Will try and watch your loose change piece soon!!

Jenny said...

Jasmin, you'll have to watch it soon and make sure you watch all the featurettes too! Those are really good, especially for people like me who didn't read the book. :)

Suz, HA! Yeah I thought that was weird... he would've been what... 10-20 years older? I kept thinking that too. But then I got over it cause he was so sweet and held back his TRUE LOVE for so long out of respect for that other guy! You know? It is just an amazing story about true love persevering. [sigh]