Monday, October 31, 2005

What did you expect?

MoveOn and the left in general are infuriated about Alito. Did they really think Harriet Miers' withdrawl would lead to a more neutral Supreme Court Justice? I'm shocked that they are shocked. I even like Move On... but they mobilized a huge anti-Harriet campaign and now they're mobilizing a huge anti-Alito campaign. We have a Republican as our President. I hate to just lay down and die, but come on... he is going to nominate people that he likes. I get grumpy with groups that only seem to advance a negative agenda. I'm sure they don't feel they have a lot of choice, but endlessly bashing Bush is only going to make Americans more annoyed with the left! PLEASE! Be positive. Think of ideas. Advance possibilities. Create viable options and vocalize them. You're obviously good at grassroots organizing, so you can do this!

Why don't I get emails saying "We are campaigning for this person as a good neutral choice for Supreme Court" or "We have this workable plan for mitigating the harms of being in Iraq." Nope. I don't get those emails. Is anyone sending them? Or are we all just way too cynical that we have any effect on these decisions? (That's a cop-out - I wouldn't be getting anti-Miers and anti-Alito emails unless somewhere deep inside the oppressed and sorrowful little Democratic heart, there lies hope of creating change in a Republican-controlled nation.)

PS. I'm also sad about the lack of women on the Supreme Court. Down to one? In 2005, it is just plain embarassing.

No comments: