Monday, October 10, 2005

Mark 8 - Losing and Gaining

34Then he called the crowd to him along with his disciples and said: "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. 35For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me and for the gospel will save it. 36What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, yet forfeit his soul? 37Or what can a man give in exchange for his soul? 38If anyone is ashamed of me and my words in this adulterous and sinful generation, the Son of Man will be ashamed of him when he comes in his Father's glory with the holy angels."

1 thing I realized...
my soul, this small fairly nameless thing inside of me, or this thing that actually IS me, that nobody knows truly, not even me... this mysterious, deep thing that never changes in essence whether i'm 10 lbs and lying in a crib, or 23 years old floundering wondering about purpose, love, career, and friendship... or elderly and dying in my bed... this soul... this eternal thing... is actually worth more THAN THE ENTIRE WORLD. wow.

1 thing i'm still wondering...
If gaining the whole world can be a sign that i've ost my whole soul, is this a progressive thing? If I bite off bigger and bigger pieces of the world, do I lose my soul more and more? What exactly am I forfeiting, what parts? And, can I get them back? Can you reclaim the parts of your soul that you prostituted to the world, or murdered for the equivalent of cold, hard cash?

No comments: