Wednesday, October 19, 2005

A walk in the pahk

I was killing some time in Farragut Square today around noon. It's just a square park in the heart of downtown DC. Saw a lot of funny things. One was a red-headed guy taking a digital photo of all these (mostly) black bike couriers sitting on park benches taking a rest. They started yelling at him Hey man! What are you doing? Don't be taking a picture of me! And he's like, there are about 200 people within this picture. I'm not taking a picture of you. Then they're like, you better give me a dollar. You're probably gonna make a billion offa that photo. Come over here and give me my dollar. lol

But then some things not so funny. There was an older black woman whose head was totally covered in white soap - shampoo I guess, but who really knows. She had an old water bottle and her head was bent over the water fountain. She washed her hair in the water fountain for about 10 minutes. And I mean it wasn't a big water fountain either, so she was really all up in it. The interesting thing is she was having a full and heated conversation with someone who wasn't standing there. I'm not here to diagnose that, but man, it was just like... so vivid. And I guess I've seen so many movies because it was like straight out of a movie. It was like Fight Club and you see Ed Norton talking to Brad Pitt, and then it cuts to another view and you see Ed Norton is just talking to himself, throwing himself down stairs, punching himself. My only point is that it was that vivid. She was responding to someone.

1 comment:

ipodmomma said...

nice entry... there is a guy who walks around the town centre, and his name is Rudy. He sometimes carries a kareoke machine, singing along, or he just wanders around...

he was gone for a couple of years, but is back now. I wodner where he goes, what his life is when he's not hanging around town...

have a lovely day!

mollie