Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Fire in their bellies

I love fireflies... lightning bugs... don't read this if you don't like them because you will soon realize I am very delighted with them.

The most recent magical experience came when I was with my running partner Rebecca like a week ago. We were running south along the GW Parkway in Virginia, which is beautiful, and there was this unbelievable scary and strong thunderstorm getting ready to break. I mean, the clouds were blue-purple-black and they were chasing us south... which was actually a good thing because we were headed back to our cars and there was no faster way to get there than to run! But anyway, I think the rumbling of thunder and the fast, forceful wind got the lightning bugs all riled up. It wasn't raining yet but they could sense something was coming. We were passing through a really green area with grass and trees and shrubs all around, and by this time it was quite dark (almost). I was looking ahead, and I saw the lightning bugs lighting up incessantly, like... oh I can't even explain it. There were probably 3,000 at a time lighting up within my view, and there was no moment or half-moment or split-second when they weren't lighting up. I literally said "this is magical." It was like a million glittering stars against a night sky.

The second encounter, probably just a few days later, was in my room. I was going to bed, and I pulled down the covers, and there tucked underneath was a little lightning bug. Now, had it been any other bug - ANY other ant, spider, what-have-you - I would have freaked out. However, as previously mentioned, I love lightning bugs. He just looked so cute under there, resting on a yellow sheet. So I picked him up and took him outside... I don't know if he could fly cause I sure didn't see him fly off, but it was cute.

And the third and final encounter, tonight. I went to get into my car and who was resting on my door but lightning bug #3. I am pretty sure he wanted to get where he was going a little faster, so he hopped a ride on the car. So not only are they magical and snuggly, but they are also smart. What's not to love?

Actually it was so fun running tonight (I cannot believe I'm saying that). Rebecca lives in what most people consider ghetto or near-ghetto DC, but actually it's a really nice place that she's in and a very diverse community. We've gone twice there, and already I recognize people and everyone says hi. They're very polite, for the most part. The best thing ever was tonight when we were coming up on a group of about 10 kids of all different ages. They didn't exactly get off the sidewalk, but they did part the sea a little bit and three or four of them reached out their little hands to give us a high-five. lol Best thing ever.

No comments: