Sunday, July 24, 2005

Distractions

So, yeah, I was making good progress on all these different things I need to do to get my small business off the ground, and okay... there are no good excuses... for I started looking through Yahoo personals for the Arlington area. lol AHhhhhh. It's funny and fascinating. One observation I just have to make is there are a LOT of non-whites on there... what is the PC term? I don't think minority is the right term anymore, but in any case, you get what I'm saying.

I put in a search for women with the same age group here just to see my competition. Lots of scary girls on there, my chances would be pretty good if I signed up... hahah.

Back to entrepreneurship stuff. Okay, over the last week, I have been encouraged about ten different times to continue in what I'm doing, so that's been really cool. You start to wonder about taking a risk like this, you start to doubt... so I love to hear encouragement. My mom said a lot of really sweet things to me about having a gift with words. I had totally started doubting that so I was like awww thanks Mom. Also I met this guy at a cook-out who has his own international business consulting company. He was extremely friendly and helpful and gave me tons of good tips. In a month or two, I'd like to set up a meeting with him and ask some specific questions. Diana also is going to connect me with this freelance writer that works with her organization. Sweeeet.

I guess the things I am most avoiding right now are setting up the website (because it involves making money-related decisions, even if they're not huge costs, it does mean making final decisions) and putting together a portfolio because it seems too nebulous a concept and involves searching for worthy examples. I need to get over those two hurdles. I also am going to work on this a lot when I'm visiting a friend in Florida next month. Okay, so September is the month of action! I'll be working up until then but come September, I am definitely launching with no more excuses. And I mean the beginning of September, not the end.

No comments: