Thursday, May 19, 2005

American baby forever

Two new songs I really like on the radio: "Forever" by Veritical Horizon and "American Baby" by Dave Matthews. I hope you staaaaaay American baby, I hope you staaay beautiful baby. What that actually means I'm not sure, but that's what songs are for - making you wonder.

I love that stage with music when you first hear a new band or singer or get a new CD, and you are entranced and it brings you sheer delight as you listen to it over and over and over. I really, really love that stage. I am currently coming out of that stage with both Damien Rice and Rob Thomas - at least with their current CDs. So I am looking for the next new thing... aren't we always? Always craving newness, something novel, something that says what we hadn't quite found the words or the music to say yet. They say there's nothing new under the sun, but what about new ways to express it? After all, what is art if not this? And, come to think of it, aren't I something new under the sun? Has there ever been another me, or you? No, there hasn't. Being human seems to be about being something new under the sun. I'd like to talk this out with Solomon at some point.

In other news, I have a running partner now, named Rebecca, and we met tonight for the first time. Woohoo! We ran along the Potomac and it was beautiful - I can't believe it didn't rain because the clouds were very full and heavy. It is so much easier to run with someone else. You really get your mind off the hard work of moving and breathing. It's becoming easier for me, too. Training is amazing. I mean it actually works! I am shocked that I can do this. It is a very good feeling.

So, I'm about to go to Diana's parents' house to watch the finale of The Apprentice. Yes, I watch the Apprentice, which means I'm a greedy, money-loving, corporate-ladder-climbing yuppie with nothing better to do than drool when The Donald speaks business wisdom. Wait, no, that's not right - I just think it's fun. Also it appeals, I think, because I'm at a stage where it is not hard to relate to both the ambition and the creativity that it takes to play a game like the Apprentice. Sometimes I think I could do the tasks they are doing - well I'm sure I could. I'm sure most of my friends could. So there ya go.

Oh, we're going to her parents' cause our cable is down! Not like you asked, but I could see the question forming in your mind.

No comments: