Thursday, November 02, 2006

Yet another gay Christian "scandal"

Well it seems Ted Haggard, President of the 30-million member National Association of Evangelicals (NAE) and pastor of a 14,000 member church, is stepping down amid gay affair allegations. Of course I have no clue if it's true or not, but it's not like he's being accused of some one-night fling; his accuser says they had sex about once a month for three years. That's 36 encounters.

Here's an article from the Seattle Post Intelligencer

Now my little post here isn't about homosexuality being wrong. I honestly don't know where I stand on that. I'm more struck by two things:

(1) A Christian world that often times provides shaming rather than healing and support to homosexuals or people struggling with homosexuality, however you want to put it. *

(2) A Christian leader who practices the very sin he so passionately speaks against. If the allegations are true, they are appalling especially because he is such an outspoken opponent of same-sex marriage. I don't care really if you are for it or you're against it, but don't rally millions of Christians against it and then practice it in secret.

I really don't have any judgements here... in fact, my lack of having a strong opinion about homosexuality is probably seems wrong to some. But I guess I'm more just commenting on the brokenness of the whole situation. It's messed up on many levels.

Of course there is the political dimension of it, too. What timing! As my Dad joked, this is nothing compared to the Foley incident. lol

* As an afterthought, I do want to note that this environment is changing slowly and many gay people are receiving a better welcome and better treatment from the Church. So that's good.

No comments: