Wednesday, November 08, 2006

I take it back

Okay, I'm sorry for ever blogging on the Ted Haggard thing. lol I have no idea what to make of this situation. I guess I am just especially interested in it because through my job back in DC, I worked closely with people who worked closely with him... does that make sense? So it feels personal even though it's really not.

My friend Jeff emailed me and made the excellent point that he only confessed because he got caught, which is really not that respectable. He also pointed out that this is a classic case of power gone awry, which I agree with, though maybe this was exacerbated by the fact that in religious circles, it is especially hard to show your weaknesses. It makes abusing power even more tempting, in a way. Strangely enough.

Anyways... no conclusions to draw. I am really tired but there's some stuff I need to do before going to sleep... I just made scrambled eggs. I'm listening to James Taylor on a CD that Tom gave me. There are 4 of my jackets, 5 pillows, 1 purse, and 2 bottles of wine on my corner couch right now. We're going to the Hurricanes game tomorrow night, and Friday morning I'm going to Colorado Springs for 5 days. I'm really happy about life right now... just sleep-deprived :) Nothing wrong with a little incoherency now and then...

1 comment:

Micah Mayo said...

I think that your friend in the statement that he probably would not have come out with the truth had he not been caught, and also the observation about abuse of power are true.

However, on the other side of things, do we ever admit how wrong we are without exposure? I know in my personal experience it is usually when I am "caught" in the act by others or perhaps even the Lord that I realize how very wrong I am and, in turn repent. I don't think that it was necessarily wrong of you to respect his action -- in fact, in reading the letter you see Haggard take full responsibility for his actions, which is rare. We see over and over again people in the public eye shifting the responsibility for their harmful actions onto others. For example, Foley blamed a preist and alcoholism for his predatory ways, when Mel Gibson(it's late.. examples are hard to come by) was pulled over drunk and spewing racist obscenities, he blames his alcoholic anti-semitic father..

In this relativistic post-modern world and excuse and scapegoat for any misdeed can be found, and easily considering how fallen the human face is. It is refreshing to see someone, hypocritical as he may be, take responsibility and apologize for the hurt he caused. So, Jenny, do not intellectualize away your reaction to his letter. There is something genuine in it.. That doesn't fix all of Hagerts problems.. but it is genuine..