Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Trust

Trust is a really difficult thing, I mean in the beginning stages of a relationship. I am a naturally trusting person. I not only wear my heart on my sleeve, I kind of throw it at someone. lol I'm trying to be better about that but it's hard. Guarding your heart is very difficult, and you have to walk the fine line between guarding your heart and giving it away to the right person at the right time. I mean, I think if you guard it and hold on to it too much, you will miss life, or at the very least, you will miss the most exciting (and sweetest) parts of a relationship.

I guess I trust people because I want to believe the best about them, and I want to take ahold of the best thing for me. But sometimes, no matter how perceptive you are about people, you can misjudge. Or it may not even be a matter of misjudging a person - they just may fail you or otherwise let you down.

I always thought all these adult songs about being hurt in the past and letting that or not letting that affect a current chance at love were so... over the top. But really that is the biggest thing single people deal with, at least from my perspective.

Do people who get married feel a surge in trust? It seems in our society, marriage is no longer the trust seal that it once was. I'm sure it depends on the person... I hope the relationship I'm in - or whatever permanent relationship I find myself in - gets to the point where Ijust totally don't even think about trust anymore. That would be such a relief. Is it safe to get to that point? Can you really expect someone to offer you unconditional love? Can you really expect yourself to offer it to someone? For sanity, I think we have to find a way to be in that place. At least for me personally, that's a safe place that I can't live without. I have one version of it with my immediate family (parents, etc.) and now I'm at the age of needing it in another way.

Anyway, those are my thoughts on love and trust today. Thank you. Haha. :)

No comments: