Thursday, March 02, 2006

Where I breathe best

Just returned tonight from a 48 hour business trip to DC.

I am sooooooo glad to be home. I am really glad I moved. I love my people there, but as far as the city, something in me has become fundamentally incompatible with it. I had a headache almost the entire time I was there. I involuntarily adopt terrible, unhealthy habits when I am there... it's probably just my former office (that I hate hate hate) and all the stress of work... I don't know. But being in DC, even though I love DC in a lot of ways, it just has this heaviness for me.

All I can tell you is that for every mile I drove on I-95 South, I felt that much better, and healthier, and happier. I guess I am not the city girl I thought I was. I'm from the country and I like it like that. :) No, not the country, just the Midwest... regular houses, on the fringe of mid-sized towns... that's where I can breathe. I love open spaces. It is really good to be finding these things out about myself.

Once I started to pull into our area of Raleigh, I had the windows down and the sunroof open (well it was nighttime) and the air is so warm and fresh, and you can see the stars, and I just feel so happy. It is good for me to be where I am.

Sorry this has been all about me lately. I have these great ideas for spouting universal truths but once I sit down to actually post, I sort of just feel introspective and thankful and can only start with where I am at in this moment. I guess I've trained myself to freewrite about personal stuff before I can get into anything else. Anyway, all that to say, sorry for nothing profound tonight. What can I say.... I love fresh air and stars.

I also hope we go to the beach soon. I live in NC and I haven't been to the beach yet! I am going to see if Curt, Drew, and Amanda will go with me to see a sunrise on the beach in the next few days. That would be fun eh?

No comments: