Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Science and poetry

I like this quote:

In science one tries to tell people, in such a way as to be understood by everyone, something that no one ever knew before. But in poetry, it's the exact opposite.
Paul Dirac

It's interesting. So this guy thinks poetry is more about telling people what they already know, but in subtle or mysterious ways? I guess I could agree or disagree with that. I like the quote though. I don't know if poets are so much trying to say something in a way that is difficult to understand, as they're just saying things in the most raw and personal way, and if that takes some time the translation process (from one unique soul to another) then you could call that not understandable... but it's actually very clear in a way.

And to add another layer to this thought, my Dad said (and i think he heard from someone) the belief that we can't really tell someone anything that they don't already know. In other words, the person you're telling must have already grasped the truth of what you're saying. They have to be ready to receive it, in a way. The space for the new idea or thought has already been made. I don't know what I think about that but I like that idea too.

No comments: