Wednesday, June 29, 2005

That eye, that love

God, I am sorry I ran from you. I am still running, running from that knowledge, that eye, that love from which there is no refuge. For you meant only love, and I loved, and I felt only fear and pain. So once in Israel, love came to us incarnate, stood in the doorway, between two worlds, and we were all afraid.

(Annie Dillard, "God in the Doorway," Teaching a Stone to Talk: Expeditions and Encounters [New York: Harper & Row, 1982]

I got this at http://www.homileticsonline.com/subscriber/btl_display.asp?installment_id=2536 because I love the song "Still Running" at http://www.eastmountainsouth.com/lyrics.html

You know, the two biggest reasons (intellectually) that I believe in God are (1) Israel. What a strange nation, what a strange history. Its existence, to me, proves its God. and (2) The fact that basically every job in the world is filled by someone who wants to do it. How does that work out? There are so many jobs that most of us would never, EVER take and yet other people have a passion to do them. That's too coincidental, to me. So, these are the deep reasons why I believe in God. lol

No comments: