Friday, June 24, 2005

Returned from the bayou

Yesterday I flew back from New Orleans. I went down for our quarterly Board Meeting, and spent the majority of the week in Port Fourchon. That's two hours south of New Orleans on the Gulf of Mexico. I loved it. It was so restful down there - just the water and open space. Although, it was kind of funny because the rich people we stayed with (that were gracious enough to host our entire Board and some spouses!) lived in a subdivision of wealthy home- and yacht-owners. It just seems nonsensical to have a subdivsion in a space that is so marked by open spaces - why fence things off? But anyway.

So, Sunday night I flew there, rented a car, and followed some not-the-best-ever directions and made it to the house in good time! Everyone was impressed I did it without getting lost, but it was really the grace of God. Trust me. G, r, a, c, e. Okay I will resist the urge to give you a minute-by-minute but basically the next day I sat around waiting for people to arrive (the original plan had been for me to drive around like mad and pick everyone up.. very pleased that that didn't happen). Took in the sun, sat in the rocking chair on the patio, dangled my feet off the side of the dock, went swimming, ahhhhhhhhh. It's a rough life down there. :) The only bad thing is that, with that much free time, you tend to eat non-stop. Definitely had enough pistachios and chocolate to last me a few months. Well, who are we kidding? You can never have enough chocolate.

The Board Meeting went pretty well. The next one is in the Virgin Islands. Pray I get to go! ha, just kiddin. I actually almost feel bad about going, if I did go. These are funds that can and should go to bringing water to people in Africa. I don't know. The stewardship part of all this messes my conscience up. The travel is such a great experience, though. I definitely won't always have these opportunities so I'm trying to take them whenever I can.

The last 24 hours I spent in New Orleans, walking around the French Quarter (although it was pretty close to so hot that you could faint). It was a fun city but to me, not fun alone. If I ever go back I need some of you to go with me. It is definitely a city for friends and staying out late. I stayed at a bed and breakfast, that I swear was haunted and left me terrified at midnight with unexplainable breathing noises coming from the wall. The scary part is that I am not kidding.

Anyhow, I have an online slideshow that I can send to anyone - just give me a shout-out! I don't want to post it here for the free world.

No comments: