Sunday, September 24, 2006

Inspiration

I'm working on writing website copy for a 16 year old kid. I haven't met him, but the marketing company I work with is doing this project. You'll think he's notable for this reason: two years ago, he lost his left arm in a boating accident. He's more notable for this reason: he not only overcame that with an amazingly positive attitude, but he is excelling and winning competitions in wakeboarding, lacrosse, and golf, and he plays about 10 more sports.

Honestly, from a head level, I thought the story was great and all, and I enjoyed reading through all the clips about him - local news stories, People Magazine, the Today Show, etc.

But what did it for me was playing the 5 minute video reel with photos from his life growing up all the way through to today. Photos of him picking up his sisters and holding them on his shoulders, casting a fishing rod into the lake with his Dad... eventually it goes to the hospital pictures.

The song playing is... I'm 15 for a moment, caught in between 10 and 20 and I'm just dreaming... 15 there's still time for you, time to buy and time to lose, 15 there's never a wish better than this, when you only got 100 years to live.

Man... I am like truly, truly, TRULY inspired to the point of tears!

After tons of people have said how much he inspired them, he is dedicating his life (well at least for now :) to motivational speaking. He's already spoken at schools, churches, and to over 600 mortgage brokers! The idea is just going beyond your own expecations for yourself... believing in yourself to be who you want to be and do what you want to do.

Really puts things in perspective doesn't it? Well it probably doesn't for you... because it didn't for me. It took the photos and music for it to hit me. But it's an amazing story.

1 comment:

Mike Morrell said...

That is flippin' sweet.