Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Great timing

The other day, my Mom asked my Dad how he was doing. He sighed and said happily, "I am having a Jenny day." lol This is true.

I had to ask... Well, according to my Dad, a Jenny day is when all your projects come together and/or something very serendipitous happens. If this is the definition, most of MY days are not Jenny days, but I have definitely had about 10 of them since becoming a freelancer.

The most recent one was Friday, and I feel compelled to blog about this because it was so cool and so strange. I visited this local business networking group over 3 months ago... wait, I will find the date in my inbox... June 12, 2006... oh my gosh, 3 months ago to the DAY! This is getting freaky. (I was just guessing 3 months.) Anyway, even though it was my first time and I was only visiting, this guy gave me a referral. He wrote on a slip of paper the name and number of someone who might be interested in my writing services. My plan was to call soon, but I didn't call that week, or the next week, or even the next month.

Yes, I procrastinated 3 months away!! Well I wasn't just totally slacking - it was project overload that caused me to be slow - but even when the projects eased up I didn't call.

Finally, on Friday, I decided to call because I am joining this networking group and I didn't want to face them again without having followed up on the referral they gave me! So call I did.

The guy I spoke with returned my phone call within a couple hours and said something very strange: I'm glad you called - this is great timing!

Whaaaaa?! 3 months later is great timing? It turns out they have 3 regular people (the rest are all independent contractors) and as of the end of this week, their WRITER is moving to San Francisco. So they needed someone who they could trust to do good work... everything from business proposals to technical writing to marketing collateral.

I just came from my face-to-face meeting with this guy, and it went great! They're going to start me off with something small so they can see how I work, and I can see how they work (well more for the first reason :). I'm excited and thankful.

No comments: