Thursday, February 02, 2006

Hannity, Robertson, and [blech!!]

I'm sitting here watching Hannity and Colmes, and they just had Pat Robertson on as guest. The whole thing is so pathetic. The discussion is so uncivil and ridiculous. This goes, I'm sure, for most political commentary shows, but I guess I am just especially repulsed when it's Christ-lovers being so obnoxiously cocky, interrupting, and narrow-minded. What's most important? Is it being right? Is it being patriotic? The whole scenario reminds me of something I read in a Relevant article once...

Okay I was going to quote it but can't find it. The point was that when you're talking about an emotionally and morally charged issue with someone who disagrees, the central thing is not to be right or to convey that you have the moral perspective or even simply, A moral perspective. (No one cares if you are super moral! All kinds of people can have that going for them and trust me, it's not the best thing going... Not to say morality is overrated, it's just not faith, hope, or love which are at the top of the "most important" list.) Anyway, so, the central thing is to listen and to communicate with love. I know that sounds incredibly cliche, but in our culture, where tolerance is a virtue, you can be tolerant simply by carefully listening to other perspectives and communicating your own. Isn't that a conversation after all? By being snappy and super opinionated, you fail to convey the love that you are trying so hard to convey in words! That's not to say you can't have an opinion. You can think what you want to think, just get rid of the mean-spirited insistence.

Anyway, all Hannity does is pick weak liberals (Colmes), weak guests (unsuspecting losers), and WEAK POINTS to drive home with such arrogance and insistence that you just want to rack him. Seriously. lol I cannot believe this guy is getting paid to be an obnoxious political commentator. But I guess he's not the only one...

No comments: