Sunday, July 16, 2006

Stress thing... not cool

I have this weird thing going on with my body. And I don't know why I'm writing this on my blog except I'm hoping I'm not the only person in the world. So, there is an extremely close connection between my mind and my body. Specifically, whenever I feel stress, nervousness, anxiety, or even just HAPPY excitement, my mind has decided to send my body the signal to get very, very hot and sweat a lot. It actually is sending a heat wave or a hot flash that I can feel sort of ripple throughout my whole body. It's really getting to be a problem, especially because I realize it's connected to stress, so I try hard to relax, but thinking about stress and the whole body response seems to just trigger this all the more. The human body is so weird!! Why is this happening!

Let me tell you two other interesting things (since we're going into my medical history online.. hah). This happened to me once before, during sophomore year of college. It was really bad... but when I went home to Minnesota for summer, it went away immediately. Apparently being in a totally relaxed, safe, stress-free environment was the key to stopping that response. It hasn't happened again until this year... and not like right when I moved or anything. There was no big event here to make this happen.

The other thing is I do think you can mentally sort of... direct energy in your body. I don't know anything about it academically but it just seems to be true for me practically. So today it occurred to me that I keep all my stress in my back, well I already knew that, but a few months ago I started going to the chiropractor regularly. And I think this may coincide with the exact timing of my heat response thing. It's like the main stress/toxins/whatever in my back muscles has been relocated in my body you know? So when I was working out today on the elliptical, I kept concentrating really hard trying to get my stress to go to my back again because, as messed up as it sounds, I'd rather have a sore back than the feeling that I'm on fire and am sweating! And I kid you not... here's the power of the mind again... my back really started hurting again, just like before I went to the chiro.

So I have no answers here... just self-diagnosis. But I am going to start taking at least 20 minutes for deep relaxation in the morning. (I hope I really do that and not just say I'm gonna.) I was reading this thing online about anxiety disorders and, not that I have it, but I definitely have some of the symptoms like inability to concentrate, bad memory, and just plain old tension for no logical reason. Yucky. I feel like I have a lot of unnecessary fears to overcome and I wish I just didn't have them. When I'm comfortable and not stressed, I'm the most happy-go-lucky person in the world... now I just have to let myself be that person all the time. Life is strange... the human body is strange... living in 2006 is strange... growing up is strange... this whole thing is weirding me out a little. lol

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have panic disorder with social phobia. I've had it my entire life and am just now on medication for it. maybe going to a doctor would help you. So temp relief. There is a mind body connection but so much of it is chemical. do both! Try counseling, try it all. Whatever you do don't accept abnormality for normal
jason

Jenny said...

thanks jason. you're right i should go to a doctor. i know they're gonna yell at me about stress but it's annoying because it is very, very subconscious. it's hard to even pinpoint what is causing my stress! i guess my job, finances, etc, the usual stuff, but it's hard to make your body react better to something at a subconscious level.

i went to a yoga class this morning. i wnat to start quieting myself before the Lord, too. (does that conflict with yoga? lol man..) basically what someone told me yesterday is my sympathetic nervous system is operating at such a high level that it has no way to operate but outwardly you know? so i need to bring it back down, the whole thing, which apparently can be done over time. and i also read how even sleep will not take away your stress if you don't give yourself a break during your waking hours. crazy.