Thursday, March 08, 2007

Conservative Christians... you baffle me

So James Dobson and the conservative evangelical crew have written a little letter about Rich C. at the NAE. Read the letter here. Seriously, read it. It's very fascinating. It gives me a strange sense that history is unfolding in my midst when I read it. Indeed, a major change is taking place, and it's impossible to guess what the outcome will be.

I've met the head of the NAE before. It was as part of a group that focuses on helping American Christians find ways to alleviate the suffering of people in poverty. I was and continue to be, all about that. I was proud of him for being involved. A powerful Christian leader in DC could be doing a lot of things other than spending time on helping the poor. That was good to see.

I've been to meetings on Capitol Hill. One time at a meeting in a Senate office building, I was approached about Christians in leadership being part of the solution on climate change. Very little was being done. Ever since then, I've been happy to hear whenever more is being done.

But the most fascinating part of the letter is this... and I have to thank Sojourners in DC for highlighting this letter and this portion in particular.

They wrote:

"... we have observed that Cizik and others are using the global warming controversy to shift the emphasis away from the great moral issues of our time, notably the sanctity of human life, the integrity of marriage and the teaching of sexual abstinence and morality to our children."

Oh... my... God. They did not really write that, did they?!

The great moral issues of our day are (very narrowly defined) sanctify of human life (ABORTION), the integrity of marriage (NO GAY LOVE) and the teaching of sexual abstinence and morality (SEX IS PLAIN BAAAD!)

Sometimes it's hard to believe how different Christians can be from each other, because I wear the CHRIST nametag too but I feel like I have almost nothing in common with these misguided freaks.

The sanctity of life... how about defining that as it relates to issues like Iraq, Afghanistan, poverty, Hurricane Katrina victims still living in squalor, inner cities abandoned because of racism, the horrible travesty of public education in thousands of U.S. cities...

The integrity of marriage? Cool, if you're excited about that, if you've found the One, then cool. But Jesus did not harp on this. He mentioned it once. He also mentioned selling all your possessions once. Who has the hardened heart?

Teaching our kids sexual abstinence and morality? Again, what in the world is this preoccupation with SEX? How about we teach our kids love, tolerance, patience, integrity, honesty, generosity. These things don't making loving Jesus impossible or even compromised. They make loving Jesus real and tangible.

Ugh. The whole thing is disgusting. I am so tired of powerful Christians intimidating each other. I am tired of ideologies being used as a heavy vehicle for rolling over and smashing other people. (A moderate Democrat or Republican is often mercilessly berated by their own party.)

Anyway, I guess that's a whole 'nother conversation... I just find this letter very telling and very disturbing. Dobson is probably planning a coup as we speak.

2 comments:

NightComesOn said...

The main argument set forth here makes sense. The NAE is not a scientific organization, they don't claim to have a full understanding of global warming, and thus it's premature for the organization, or anyone speaking presumably on its behalf, to make a claim about it. That's cool. If you're going to take a stand for something, it's probably best that you know precisely what you're getting into.

Of course, seeing the views of some of the undersigned concerning Scripture and evolution makes me believe that they don't hold science in that high a light anyway, but I digress.

They've really done a job making Cizik their enemy here. Setting the main good of the NAE for pro-life, abstinence, and heteronormality, and then implying Cizik's approval of abortion, condom usage and infanticide.

But...the signers are certainly consistent with their own views. And though the signers' views are certainly monolithic (I didn't realize so many organizations focused around the family existed), one can't really accuse them of hijacking the NAE's platform.

...I honestly don't know what to say here.

NightComesOn said...

Actually, there's a fair bit of discussion going on here. Wish I actually knew more about the NAE to actually contribute to this, but you should have fun. Cheers!